Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Around Aruba - a 37-mile (60km) run around the island

 

January 27, 2020


Running around Aruba; an approximate 37-mile / 60 km run covering the entire island. I've made a map to calculate the distance and to see where I need water and where I can get water. The entire Northeast side is inhabited; there are no gas stations or shops to get water. Two places where I can get water and those better be open for business otherwise I have a problem

🙁 The wind direction is typical for Aruba; It doesn't make much different which direction i start in as you will have headwinds one way or the other. Here is an overview of the wind direction which is so typical for Aruba.


Since I can't get supplies en-route, I have a full backpack with supplies: electrolytes, water, dates, raisins, bananas, energy gels, extra shirts, socks and a phone....

Here is the route and the elevation profile for the run

Update:

What a day in Aruba. It started of pretty OK, temperature wise but as soon as I hit 20 miles (32 KM), temp went up to a grueling 38C or 100F. Almost undoable; This part is protected from the wind (as soon as you enter Arikok National Park from the South side) and in combination with a long climb to the visitor center, this part is the hardest part of the course.











Once you are at the Natural Bridge (or the remains there of) you run for 15 miles on very rugged terrain with rocks and lots of sand. Of course I couldn't resist to kiss the ground - man I fell - bunch of scratches but it was worth it 🙂




No comments:

A running threesome - sounds like a dream come thru

  Portimao I had a good run today which means i hit my 100 mile training week in the last five days in three different countries: a 60 km (3...